When I sat down to make my budget for this year, I decided it was about time I take a look at my spending habits in order to start spending more mindfully and to stop wasting money on useless things. For example...that 1600$ I spent at Sephora last year? Well, likely half of it was stupid products that I didn't really need...like another lipstick or eyeshadow palette. That being said, in order to save money I'm not just going to buy cheap products because for me, sometimes cheap may be less money but the quality usually sucks or it falls apart minutes later. So mindful spending this year to me, is more like buying good quality products that I know will do the job, even if they may cost a little more, but it also means buying less of things. Because really, the last thing I need is more stuff to clutter my world.
So when making my list of things I splurge or save on, I found it interesting to see that the majority of staples in my life are splurges. Turns out I'm not too willing to skimp on my everyday things, like...
- Moisturizing products. Currently I am loving the TIDAL SUNDAY RILEY cream in the mornings, especially during our very cold and dry winters. My skin regime does not get skipped or skimped and is very important to me....stay away wrinkles, stay away.
- all makeup for that matter is a splurge for me...except the only thing I will save on is mascara...I like L'Oreal's Voluminous, but I also like Make up Forever's Smoky Eye. I am really trying to limit what I buy this year, only getting something once it needs replacing instead of 'just cause'.
2. Shoes. I just got a cute pair of transition wedge boots for slushy season (we went from -50 to +5 within a week)....check out these Sorel wedges. I rarely save on shoes- I think I have one pair of flats from H&M, but everything else is my favourite brands like Sam Edelman, Dolce Vita or Miz Mooz.
3. Wardrobe staples- like jeans, blouses, cardis...okay..everything. Busted.
4. Handbags- I may or may not have a cute little collection growing of my favourite friends...Tory, Marc, Michael, Rebecca & Kate. I am now on a handbag buying hiatus because I want a Chanel bag for my 40th, which is far too close.
- Anything that's trendy- I will buy those items at H&M mostly or the Twik line from Simons.
2. Something I just want to try to see if I'll like like this veggie spiraller that I just bought this week, also Amazon Prime is my favourite thing. My goal is to not go into Walmart this year, so amazon shall replace it:
3. Salt n' vinegar chips- sometimes the cheapest ones have the best flavour.
Linking up with Momfessionals