- I loved Instagram, Twitter and Facebook before I had them linked to my blog- simply because it was personal.
- I currently love SnapChat and so do my kids. You can find me on there - ShoestoShiraz
- As a blogger, I feel pressured to have big numbers to feel more...legit. Sigh. I hate getting sucked down that rabbit hole.
- I feel like growing my numbers is easy to do, all you have to do is follow people and they follow you back, but then it feels somewhat unauthentic, doesn't it? Especially when you get followed by the ItWorks mafia, who are just trying to sell things all the time. I also don't enjoy the automatic DMs you get from people once you follow them. Feels too fake to me.
- But at the same time, I have found some really neat people by reaching out, so there is a silver lining.
- I have only been concentrating on one social media platform to learn about and grow per month, as authentically as possible. Last month was Instagram, this month is Pinterest. I like this. Feels less stressful and plus I like learning.
- I have used the following tools in my learning: Archie, Tailwind, BoardBoaster, Likestagram, Crowdfire, Hootsuite. In the end, it's the apps that help with scheduling that I like the most (Tailwind, Hootsuite) because I like to be organized on the weekends and get my whole week planned out.
- I have since made separate, personal Instagram and Twitter accounts so I could actually see the posts of people I care about in Instagram or follow up any Blue Jays news on Twitter. You know, the important things. Which has been a strange outcome as now I find I spend less time on social media, scrolling through random people's random posts.
In the end, I struggle with social media and I am sure that it will continue to be a roller-coaster. On one hand, I don't want it to occupy too much of my time, but on the other hand I do enjoy the challenge of growing my blog. And you know, I think this has to do with social media in general too, right? Spending your life on Facebook is not living.
Hop on over to Jill's blog to see what great tips she has to share!